The Brilliance of Technology
Having to walk away from your home is never an easy thing–especially when you have children. Thankfully we are looking at this as a new adventure.
The most important concern was to keep the whole family together in one place until we can find a new home to live in. That being accomplished through loving friends, our next concern was to make sure I could continue writing and complete the next Wanted Hero book: Race to Til-Thorin.
I thought I was going to have a panic attack while packing up my office, but it turned out to be the opposite. I mean, how can you run a business when your sleeping on the floor of someone else’s home?
That’s when I stopped, took a deep breath…and had to smile, because the answer has been right here all along: technology.
Without realizing it, I not only had the tools needed to continue building this world of Wanted Hero, I had a complete company in a backpack:
- MacBook Pro (best laptop I’ve ever owned) w/power cord
- Loaded with the best programs for a creative writer/builder of fantasy worlds: Keynote, Photoshop CS5, InDesign CS5, OpenOffice, SCRIVENER (BEST writing software available!), TesxtSoap, TextWrangler, Garageband/Audacity & Levelator.
- 500GB USB powered external HD (use with Time Machine)
- My World Creation Bibles (all moleskin)
- Yellow Pads & Pens
- Blue Snowball Microphone (for podcasts/audio books)
- USB powered Flat Bed Scanner
- 2GB USB Thumbdrive
If you’re a writer and you’re wondering if you should indeed pursue your heart…worried about whether you’ll be able to compete in this ever changing world, let me remind you that technology has evened the playing field. Not completely, but enough for those with drive, persistence and talent to get their shot. Enough for those who are willing to work and sacrifice to see the fruits of their labors and the promise of an ever growing share of attention in readers.
Because of technology, the publishing industry is about to morph into a new landscape of wonder and promise, because stories can be created for pennies, bought for pennies and distributed to every corner of the globe in moments. That’s technology!!
Here’s to my next book…and yours!